The Serum HER-2/neu Test and Metastatic Breast Cancer
Serum HER-2/neu: Helping Women with Metastatic Breast Cancer
The Serum HER-2/neu test is a simple blood test for over 150,000 women living with metastatic breast cancer.1 For the thousands of women diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer each year, the Siemens Serum HER-2/neu test is the only Serum HER-2/neu test available for sale in the U.S. for monitoring their Serum HER-2/neu status during therapy. The Serum HER-2/neu test is indicated for monitoring patients with metastatic breast cancer and initial serum level >15 ng/ml.
Serum HER-2/neu Status: Providing Critical Information for Metastatic Disease Assessment
Decreasing levels of Serum HER-2/neu reflect treatment response or disease stability. Increasing levels of Serum HER-2/neu reflect disease progression.*
Monitoring Serum HER-2/neu levels yields important information about response to therapy and cancer progression, and may help physicians make more informed decisions when developing and modifying patient treatment regimen. 2-4
* For the ADVIA Centaur® system a point-to-point increase or decrease of 15% reflects response or progression.
1. Silent Voices: Women with Advanced (Metastatic) Breast Cancer Share Their Needs and Preferences for Information, Support and Practical Resources.. Living Beyond Breast Cancer. 2006. Pg. 1.
2. Schwartz MK, et al. International Journal of Biological Markers 2000;15(4):324.
3. Lipton A, et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2002;20(6):1467.
4. Esteva FJ, et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2002.